We are committed to safeguarding the privacy of our website visitors; this policy sets out how we will treat your personal information.
- "1st Watersport" wish to comply with the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations and, although we are only a small business, we intend to comply with the spirit of the Data Protection Act.
We do not like spam E-mail and support any method possible to reduce this worldwide problem. We hope that any E-mail from us to you contains matter that is of interest to you.
1. What information do we collect?
- We may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal data:
- Your Name, Home Address, E-mail Address and Telephone Numbers from any paper or electronic application form that you complete in order to take part in any of our activities.
- details about your nautical experience or qualifications and about the activities which you have taken part in, with us.
- information relating to any transactions carried out between you and us, including information relating to any purchases you make of our goods or services.
- any other information that you choose to send to us.
3. Using your personal data
We may use your personal information to:
- send statements and invoices to you, and collect payments from you;
- send you general commercial communications by E-mail;
- send you E-mail notifications which you have specifically requested;
- We may use part of any E-mail from you and publish this on our website as "feedback" about our services, when we think this would interest others. We may publish a "thumbnail picture" of you but we will not publish your identity beyond a first name or a set of initials, without your permission. If we publish feedback, we will always ask you to approve what we have uploaded to our webpage.
- Where you submit "feedback" for publication on our website, we may use that exactly as you gave it to us but we reserve the right to edit or condense or summarise extracts of feedback. On your request, we will delete or edit any information we publish about you as "feedback".
- We will never provide your personal information to any third parties for the purpose of direct marketing.
- provide third parties, (normally Yacht Charter Companies or Training Centres or Airlines or Bus or Train operators) with information about you as required when we are chartering yachts or making travel arrangements on your behalf, but only as we deem necessary.
- due to the nature of our business and the special risks involved in going to Sea, we may have to ask you for information about your ‘next-of-kin‘. We may have to pass this information to third parties such as Yacht Charter Companies if they request this. Your ‘next-of-kin’ data will not ever be kept by us on any computer or electronic data retrieval system.
- If you book an activity or course with us, we will enable others booked onto the same activity for the same date(s) to be able to get in touch with you by ‘passing-on’ your E-mail address. The purpose we intend this sharing of E-mail address data is to:
- enable you to communicate directly with the others you will be (or have already) shared the experience,
- to enable you to make or confirm travel sharing arrangements (such as car sharing) and
- to enable the sharing of digital photographs afterwards.
- You must tell us if you object to us sharing your E-mail address with others on a shared activity. This might result in it being difficult to make travel sharing arrangements to your benefit.
- In addition, we may disclose information about you:
- to the extent that we are required to do so by law;
- in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings;
- in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk);
- in connection with a claim under an insurance policy;
5. Security of your personal data
- We will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
We will store all the personal information you provide on our secure (password and firewall protected) servers.
Of course, data transmission over the Internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the Internet.
If we give you a Username and Password to access special areas of our website, you are responsible for keeping the password and user details confidential.
6. Policy amendments
7. Your rights
- You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you. Provision of such information may be subject to the payment of a fee (currently fixed at £12.00).
According to the EC Directive, an ‘unsolicited marketing message that a subscriber has opted into receiving’ is one that is not invited but that the subscriber has indicated they do not, for the time being, object to receiving.
We hope to ask you and receive a positive ‘consent’ from you for us to continue to send marketing E-mail to you.
You may however ‘object’ and instruct us to cease to send you marketing communications by E-mail, in which case we will permanently delete all data we have about you including your mail and postal addresses from our computer or electronic data retrieval system.
8. Third party websites
- Our website contains links to other websites we think may be useful to you. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third party websites.
9. Updating information
- Please let us know if the personal information which we hold about you needs to be corrected or updated. In particular do advise us if you change your E-mail address.
or any other E-mail address you have for us.
11. Data controller
- The data controller responsible for our website is Eric McDowall.